eCoast is a New Zealand-based marine and freshwater consultancy providing expert technical and advisory services to both public and private sector clients in NZ, Australasia, the Pacific and around the world.
eCoast’s consultants have a wide range of oceanography expertise and experience in both physical and biological processes, with core areas of high-level expertise.
- COMPLEX NUMERICAL MODELLING of coastal processes and impacts of activities – dispersion (effluent, oil, hyper-saline plumes, chemicals, pollutants, and others), sediment transport, waves, coastal structures, impacts on mangroves/seagrass and a range of other parameters in 2D and 3D.
- BEACH PROTECTION STRATEGIES AND CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION – development of holistic adaptive management plans for existing conditions and sea level rise resilience and adaptation, including hybrid-solutions combining the most compatible physical and biological solutions for each specific site.
- TSUNAMI MODELLING – development of tsunami sources, propagation and inundation modelling, tsunami hazard assessments and tsunami effects in ports and harbours.
- FRESHWATER SYSTEMS – modelling of watersheds, residential and urban storm water flows and riverine flood modelling as well as freshwater sampling and water quality monitoring.
- FIELD DATA COLLECTION – experience and capacity to collect data pertaining to waves, currents, salinity, bathymetry, sediment suspension, and the whole range of additional parameters.
- MONITORING AND BIO-STATISTICS – design and capacity for monitoring of biological and physical processes and impacts due to coastal developments.
- SURF SCIENCE AND SURF BREAK MANAGEMENT – eCoast consultants are the world’s leading technical and scientific group concerning surf science and surf break management including the classification of surf break quality, surf break mechanics, the impact of coastal activities, amenity value and surf break protection.
- EXPERT WITNESSES – providing experience and evidence in physical and biological processes for legal cases.
RECENT AND LANDMARK PROJECTS
"Innate knowledge of the coast and surf zone. "−
"Bridging the gap between physical process and marine ecological impacts. "−
"Providing technical specialist advice on marine community diversity and functionality. "−
"Holistic approach considering catchment to coast. "−
"Multipurpose reef design and development. "−
"Evaluations of surfing wave quality, practised experts in surf break protection and leaders in surf science. "−
Recent Posts / View All Posts
eCoast Marine Consulting and Research are set to equip the Northland Regional Council with planning and assessment tools for a timely response in the event of a tsunami. On November…
We went en masse to this year’s New Zealand Coastal Society Conference. We had the honour of sponsoring the new Sustainability Award, aimed at promoting sustainable coastal leadership and action…
Shaw and Ed headed to the first ever European Surf Park Summit last week, held at Surf Snowdonia in North Wales. They joined 75 delegates from around the world to…
eCoast scientists are working as part of the scientific response to last night’s M 7.8 earthquake and tsunami. The image above shows a computer simulation of the maximum tsunami height around…