eCoast is a New Zealand-based marine and freshwater consultancy providing expert technical and advisory services to both public and private sector clients in NZ, Australasia, the Pacific and around the world.
eCoast’s consultants have a wide range of oceanography expertise and experience in both physical and biological processes, with core areas of high-level expertise.
- COMPLEX NUMERICAL MODELLING of coastal processes and impacts of activities – dispersion (effluent, oil, hyper-saline plumes, chemicals, pollutants, and others), sediment transport, waves, coastal structures, impacts on mangroves/seagrass and a range of other parameters in 2D and 3D.
- BEACH PROTECTION STRATEGIES AND CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION – development of holistic adaptive management plans for existing conditions and sea level rise resilience and adaptation, including hybrid-solutions combining the most compatible physical and biological solutions for each specific site.
- TSUNAMI MODELLING – development of source, propagation and inundation assessments.
- FIELD DATA COLLECTION – experience and capacity to collect data pertaining to waves, currents, salinity, bathymetry, sediment suspension, and the whole range of additional parameters.
- MONITORING AND BIO-STATISTICS – design and capacity for monitoring of biological and physical processes and impacts due to coastal developments.
- SURF SCIENCE AND SURF BREAK MANAGEMENT – eCoast consultants are the world’s leading technical and scientific group concerning surf science and surf break managment including the classification of surf break quality, surf break mechanics, the impact of coastal activities, amenity value and surf break protection.
- EXPERT WITNESSES – providing experience and evidence in physical and biological processes for legal cases.
RECENT AND LANDMARK PROJECTS
"Innate knowledge of the coast and surf zone. "−
"Bridging the gap between physical process and marine ecological impacts. "−
"Providing technical specialist advice on marine community diversity and functionality. "−
"Holistic approach considering catchment to coast. "−
"Multipurpose reef design and development. "−
"Evaluations of surfing wave quality, practised experts in surf break protection and leaders in surf science. "−
Recent Posts / View All Posts
To protect the surf breaks and coastlines around the world, science has to be in the mix. That’s the message eCoast Marine Consulting and Research scientist Ed Atkin will be…
eCoast was well represented at this year’s Coasts and Ports Conference. In total the group presented four papers during the technical sessions. The individual papers can be downloaded from the…
(Above) Modelling by eCoast shows how Whangamata could potentially be inundated by a tsunami. Efforts in tsunami hazard mitigation by eCoast Marine Consulting and Research are in-line with recommendations found in a recent…
(Above) Surveying Awakino Estuary. Field work is under way for the Waikato west coast estuary study! eCoast researchers have been busy collecting data at Mokau, Awakino and Marokopa as part…